Moroccan Tagine or Tajine: A Tagine,or Tajine( Berber,Tajine), is a dish from North Africa, that is named after the special earthenware pot in which it is cooked.Tajines in Moroccan cuisine are slow-cooked stews braised at low temperatures,resulting in tender meat with aromatic vegetables and sauce.
Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp black pepper
1 ¼ tsp salt
3 ¼ tbsp grapeseed oil
1 chicken (3 to 4 lbs) cut into quarters (use wings/backbone for the stock)
1 tbsp butter, unsalted
1 medium red onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
5 sprigs cilantro
5 sprigs fresh flat parsley
1 ½ cups water/chicken stock
2 tbsp honey
1 cinnamon stick
½ dried apricot, cut in quarters
⅓ cup slivered, blanched almonds
1. Mix in cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, pepper, 1 tsp salt, and 2 tbsp oil in bowl.
2. Coat the chicken well with the paste.
3. Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon oil in base of tagine (or in an iron skillet), uncovered over medium to high heat until hot but not smoking.
4. Start browning chicken pieces. Turn over after 8 to 10 minutes and transfer to a plate.
5. Sauté the sliced onion and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to tagine, uncovered for a few minutes and stirring frequently until soft.
6. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
7. Tie the cilantro and parsley into a bunch with a butcher string and add to tagine along with ½ cup water/stock, chicken, and any juices from the plate.
8. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for ½ hour.
9. While the chicken cooks, bring the honey, remaining water/stock, cinnamon stick, and apricot to a boil in a pot.
10. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until apricots are very tender (add more liquid, if needed). Once apricots are tender, simmer until liquid is reduced to glaze.
11. While apricots cook, add remaining ¼ cup oil in a small skillet over medium heat and cook almonds, stirring occasionally, until just golden. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
12. Just before chicken is done, add apricot mixture to tagine.
13. Remove the herb bunch and discard.
14. Serve the chicken with sprinkled almonds on top.